Children's Ministries At Valley Presbyterian Church
At Valley Presbyterian Church we are deeply committed to the spiritual health of our families. Our understanding of the family grows out of the Bible's teaching that God is the Architect of the home. He brings the husband and wife together. He is the Giver of the children; He has special regard for the widow and fatherless. In trying to make God's priorities our priorities, we emphasize the importance of a healthy, spiritually growing home life. We desire that all of our family life ministries reflect this commitment. Our children are a very high priority with us. They are blessings given to us directly from God (Psalm 127:3). Because of our convictions we strongly encourage parents to develop the very best skills possible for raising their children with hearts of integrity. We also accept the responsibility as a church to assist parents in the nurturing, training, and caring for their children. This is a monumental task both for the home and church. We are members one of another and we are to share our lives with one another in God's family. It is a continuous adventure filled with great joys, challenges, and opportunities. May we all continue to persevere with our hearts fixed on Jesus who faithfully sustains us until the end.
Children's Ministries requires substantial involvement of the members of our congregation. Members assist by teaching and helping our infants, toddlers, pre-schoolers, younger elementary and older elementary children. In addition to Sunday School, parents are needed to assist in the midweek program, vacation Bible School, camping trips, and special events. We also need to have those in our congregation praying for our children on a regular basis. To find out how you can get involved in this vital ministry, please contact the church office (818 894-9200).
Sunday School Children's Sunday School begins at 9:30 AM. Children through the third grade meet in various classrooms in Saunder's Hall. Children in 4th-6th grades meet in the library.
Children's Church: During the 11:00 worship service, children worship with their parents until the sermon, at which children through the third grade are released to children's church. Toddlers meet in Room 3 of Brewer Hall, pre-school through Kindergarten meet in room 6 of Brewer Hall, and first through third grade meet in the Fellowship Room off of the Narthex. Older children are encouraged to remain in the worship service during worship hour.
- Suggested Schedule for Childrens Church for 2-3 Year olds
- Bible Songs : This is a list of songs that are good to sing with children. You may wish to download a copy in Word format.
- Christmas Carols: These are some classic Christmas carols that are great to teach to the children. You may wish to download a copy in Word format.
- Hymns: These are some classic hymns that may be appropriate to teach the older children. You may wish to download a copy in Word format.
- Holiday Teaching Resources: Useful information for teaching the true meaning of Christmas, Easter, Lent, Thanksgiving, etc.
- Dedication of Teachers: A description of the dedication we desire of our Sunday School Teachers
- Teaching young children to pray: Some ideas and sample prayers for young children.
Basic Beliefs for Children: This class is for children who want to make a public profession of faith and join as communicant members of our church. While we do not want to put pressure on anyone to take this class, we do encourage you to pray with your child about this opportunity. Please note that this is a class with a serious objective and will require regular attendance, homework, and personal commitment by each child. Upon completion of the class, children will be given the opportunity to share their faith with the Elders which may lead them to take communion and be baptized (if necessary). We encourage your support. A traditional Sunday School class will also be offered over this period for those who do not choose this option. You can download a copy of the syllabus as a Microsoft Word Document. Contact the children's ministry elder for information on the next class.
Nursery Care: Nursery care is provided during the Sunday School hour (9:30AM), the Worship service (11:00AM), Wednesday Nights, and during many special events. Call the church office for details. The nursery is located in Jonah's Building.
Camping Ministry: The Children's Ministries department at Valley Presbyterian Church sponsors a camping trips for children and their families in the San Gabriel Mountains and at the beach. In addition, we sponsor a junior winter camp at Forest Home. In addition children may participate in family camp, the men's backpack and other camping ministries at Valley Presbyterian Church.
Vacation Bible School: Each summer Valley Presbyterian Church sponsors Vacation Bible School. Students from Valley Presbyterian School and Pre-School are invited to attend Call the church office for more details.
- Focus on the Family: Perhaps you have noticed the Focus on the Family inserts in the church bulletin from time to time. If you would like more information on strengthening the family, you may wish to look at the resources available at this Christian family ministry.
- Family Life Today: Family Life Today is a Christian organization that strives to provide practical, biblical tools to strengthen and build your marriage and family relationships.
- Children's Ministry International, Inc. Curricular materials for Vacation Bible School, Sunday School and Bible Clubs. Our own Ned Whitman formerly served with CMI.
- Parent Resources:Parent Resrouces at the Valley Presbterian School Website.
- Helping Your Child Succeed in School: A variety of helpful information.
- The Influence of the Media on your Children: Information every parent should know about the influence of the media on their children.
- Using the Internet wisely: Read this material before allowing children on the Internet.
- Valley Presbyterian School: VPS is a K-6 Christian School with high academic standards and many special programs.
- Valley Presbyterian Pre-School: Infant care through pre-Kindergarten programs.